full day workshop
Explore the contemporary and historical artwork on display across our galleries.
Compare the glass artwork from the present day with the historical objects.
Discuss artists’ ideas and your own personal thoughts and feelings. Choose a piece of artwork, write a review and share with the group.
Learn about glassmaking and the industry in Sunderland since 674AD, handle historical glass objects from our Stories of Glass in Sunderland exhibition and compare them to the contemporary work.
Create a fused glass design inspired by the artwork.
– About prominent contemporary glass artists and their ideas
– New vocabulary
– Writing for different purposes
– Identifying lines of symmetry (KS1)
– Materials and techniques
– How to create a symmetrical pattern (KS1)
– How to present ideas
– Discuss personal thoughts
– How hot glass is shaped into objects
– How to paint on glass
Get inspired by
– Hot glass demonstrations
– Contemporary art exhibitions
– Pencils, paper, mirrors, rulers, glass, glass, paint pens
Cost: £8 per pupil / Year 1 - 6 / KS2 (adapted for suitability)
Also available as a half day workshop without a glass making activity, £4
This qualifies as a complete Arts Award Discover, or contributes to part of Arts Award Explore. There is additional charge for Discover certificates, group discounts apply.
Curriculum links: Science, English, Art & Design, History, Geography and Religious Studies.
0191 515 5555